Do you need to develop an application and you still don’t know what technology will be best for you? In this opportunity, we tell you everything you need to know about the Kotlin programming language. Keep reading and discover its features and utilities.
What is Kotlin?
In a few words, we could say that Kotlin is an open source programming language and static type, created by the company JetBrains. It has become popular thanks to the fact that it can be used to develop Android applications.
Features and benefits
- Interoperability with Java code. Kotlin is designed to fully interoperate with the Java language syntax. That is, with an existing code base written in Java, it is possible to interact correctly with Kotlin and vice versa.
- Simple learning curve. The simplicity of the syntax allows an easy, fluid and intuitive learning curve. Perfect for those who want to learn their first programming language.
- Less programming time. Kotlin eliminates redundant code, as well as being compact and concise, which greatly streamlines the coding process and avoids repetition.
- Object orientation and functional programming. Although the usual thing in the development of mobile applications is an object-oriented paradigm, Kotlin shows that it can also work hand in hand with functional programming.
- Coroutines. It has coroutines that optimize asynchronous programming. Thus, they simplify the work of network calls and access to databases, and leave callbacks behind.
- Multi-platform development. Kotlin can be used for any type of development, from server-side and client-side web, to Android and iOS. In addition, it allows sharing code between different platforms.
- Flexibility. It gives developers the freedom to work in the style of their choice. Therefore, it is a highly flexible language, which has functional, object-oriented constructs.
What is Kotlin for?
As we have already told you, this language is mainly used for Android development. Today, more than 80% of the most popular Android apps use Kotlin.
But the latter is not only used to develop mobile apps, but over the years it has spread to other sectors. It is increasingly common to see the back-end written in Kotlin, as it allows you to create readable and expressive code, while keeping it up-to-date by running through the JVM.
Differences between Kotlin and Java
Both programming languages are usually the most chosen when creating mobile applications on Android. Here are some differences between them:
- Kotlin offers management tools that meet a number of modern needs that Java, in particular, cannot.
- Although both are dedicated to objects, Kotlin has features to be fully functional.
- While Kotlin has quite clean, simplified and concise code, Java requires more lines of code in a slightly more detailed and extensive way; therefore, the former is more practical and takes less time.
In short, the Kotlin programming language could be your best option if you need fast and modern development, especially if it is on Android. Remember that at MyTaskPanel Consulting we have experts in this and other languages, who will help you with your technological projects.