To begin with, we could say that PHP is a very popular open source language that runs on the server side. In this opportunity, we tell you everything you need to know about PHP: features, benefits and frameworks.
What characterizes PHP from other languages?
Although today it is also widely used for console applications, PHP was born and grew for web development. It has a large community and is known for being pretty straightforward.
The vast majority of websites worldwide are developed with PHP on the back end. This is so, because WordPress has a vast market share of the world web and has many templates that allow you to create a fast and functional website.
What are the benefits of using PHP?
- It evolves at a more than satisfactory rate compared to other technologies.
- It is characterized by being easy, powerful and professional.
- It has excellent frameworks for developing on the web, such as Laravel and Symfony.
- It follows exemplary development practices.
- It has a huge and very active community.
- It has a variety of tools for developers.
- It has noticeably improved performance since version 7.
- It supports an infinite amount of databases and requests, it is very fast.
- Being open source, it allows anyone to apply modifications to improve it.
When to choose PHP?
This language is always a good option for any of the following situations:
- If you need to launch a website fast.
- For ecommerce, with a CMS platform, such as Prestashop or Magento.
- If you require web development to create a startup.
- For console application development.
- To build an enterprise application.
- If you need a forum, think about the PHPBB application.
- To develop dynamic web pages or Rest services.
- If you would like to work on services or web applications, on the back end side.
These are the most popular PHP frameworks
This is the technology par excellence for carrying out RAD applications.
Some of its main advantages are:
- Its huge community.
- Very good documentation.
- Allowing fast developments.
- It is the most used PHP framework today.
Laravel has many official packages, maintained by the same creators, that allow you to quickly perform different actions.
It is made up of different components, which is why it is the main PHP framework, since several frameworks use its components. Laravel, for example, is one of them.
Its biggest advantages are:
- Following the best market practices.
- It is more focused on the development of business applications.
- Supporting many databases.
- The community is huge.
- It offers many packages to install.
Specially designed for applications that last over time and for Enterprise applications, it can also be used for other types of systems.
It is one of the most used frameworks today. Yii3 is currently being developed by the community, with great progress and major changes. This latest version is similar to Symfony, as it is also component-based, in addition to following good development practices and respecting PHP standards (PSRs). For production, Yii2 is recommended, as Yii3 is not ready for a productive application, such as developing RAD systems, among other developments. It has a large and active community.
Before, it was called Zend framework and it was the official framework of the Zend company (the company behind PHP). Therefore, we could say that it was the “official” PHP framework. The name change is due to Zend leaving the project; now the person in charge is the Open Source community.
Láminas project is a framework that has been widely used in companies for a long time.
What to look for in a PHP framework?
- Good documentation.
- Easiness to use.
- Matching with the personal way of programming.
- Good practices management.
- Important community in size and commitment.
So far we come with PHP: features, benefits and frameworks. Surely if you decide on this programming language it will be because you need to develop a project like some of the ones mentioned above. At MyTaskPanel Consulting, we have expert professionals who can help you.