As a technology consultant, we have the experience to answer some common questions you may have about Amazon Web Services.
What do we mean when we talk about Amazon Web Services?
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a Cloud Computing platform that offers a wide range of services, from sending emails, storing static files and dedicated servers (physical space to place the app or the web) to services such as managing queues, auto scaling, functions as a service, caching, notifications, dock container management and many more services. In other words, it allows you to have all the infrastructure of your company in a single platform in the cloud.
To access these services, you will need to subscribe. The payment, in general, will be for each functionality that you are going to use and for the time of use.
What projects is it for?
Both AWS and Google Cloud Platform or Azure (the main competitors), are very useful to face complex projects in technological matters.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of AWS?
Regarding the benefits of using AWS, we highlight:
- The security and trust.
- Scalability and elasticity. It ensures the possibility of scaling your product or service, since you can start by hiring a basic configuration and then scale it when you need it.
- Flexibility. It allows you to choose any operating system, platform, language and database.
- Speed. It gives us a quick response.
As disadvantages, you should know the following:
- Although at the beginning it can be economical, as you grow and increase the traffic of your website or application, you will lose track of how much you will spend.
AWS or a similar option: how to know which one is better
To choose the most appropriate Cloud Computing platform, you have to consider the aspects that we name below:
- The prices of one or the other alternative vary according to the amount of services used, although they are quite difficult to calculate and compare.
- The rest of the technologies with which you are working, since depending on the needs that arise, you will know which is the platform that will suit you. For example, if you work with Microsoft technology, it is very likely that you’ll want to go for Azure.
- The ease of administration of the tool. You must remember that they are complex systems, difficult to configure and use on a daily basis.
- The knowledge of the team. In general, a choice of this type will also depend on the skills and knowledge of the professionals who make up your team.
What AWS services do we use most often?
- SES, for sending emails.
- S3, to host static files in the cloud.
- EC2, to hire a server in the cloud and host the hosting.
- RDS, to have the database in the cloud.
- Serverless (lambda), to run applications that scale automatically.
- Cloudwatch, an alarm and metric system.
- Route 53, domain configuration.
In short, if you are going to face a technologically important project, it is essential that you take into account these answers about Amazon Web Services. We share this information with you to help you make the right decision for your product or service. Remember that at MyTaskPanel Consulting we have a multidisciplinary team to be able to place your infrastructure on the best platform.